Pre-built binaries for some systems are available, but are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. These binaries are typically provided as a convenience by Xastir users for the benefit of others running the same operating system version, and are not directly part of the Xastir project.
Please see the Installation Notes page for detailed, up-to-date installation instructions for a variety of systems if you can't find an up-to-date binary for download.
Bootable CD's (no OS or even hard drive required)
- Bootable Ubuntu/Xastir CD. Modified Ubuntu 10.04, 9.10 and 9.04 live CD's that include Xastir Version 1.99 (2010-07-07), 1.97 (2009-12-05) and 1.95 (2009-08-16) respectively.
- Bootable Kubuntu/Xastir CD. A modified Kubuntu 10.04 live CD that includes Xastir Version 1.99 (2010-07-07)
- Bootable PCLinuxOS/Xastir CD. A modified PCLinuxOS-2010 (Gnome) live CD that includes Xastir Version 1.99 (2010-07-17)
- Bootable Ubuntu/Xastir CD. A modified Ubuntu 8.04 live CD that includes Xastir
- Bootable PCLinuxOS/Xastir CD. A modified PCLinuxOS MiniMe live CD that includes Xastir
- Bootable Ubuntu/Xastir CD. A modified Ubuntu 6.10 live CD that includes Xastir
- Hamshack Hack CD . Bootable ham-oriented Knoppix CD. Xastir 1.4.x (old) included on CD.
- AFU KNOPPIX . Bootable ham-oriented Knoppix CD. Xastir 1.4.1 (old) included on CD. Note that the native CD boots up in German with a German keyboard layout. On this page is a link to instructions for getting it configured for English: AFU Knoppix Info
- Bootable Knoppix/Xastir CD. A slightly customized version of Knoppix AFU (Knoppix 3.7?). It has Xastir 1.4 (old) with shapelib support built in, plus several shapefiles and dbfawks from NationalAtlas.gov.
- Both a binary package and a port are available. Type "pkg_add -r xastir" to fetch the relevant binary for your release, or update your ports tree and use the port to get the latest version. To install from the ports collection (after updating your ports tree), just do
- cd /usr/ports/comms/xastir
- make install clean
- You will be prompted for various options, and the ports system will make sure that all necessary libraries are installed before building Xastir.
- Or: Install from sources. See the README and INSTALL files in the Xastir distribution.
- HP/UX Instructions . Also see the README and INSTALL files in the Xastir distribution.
Please note that this port isn't quite finished yet. It segfaults under certain conditions.
- Linux Standard Base . This binary should install/run on any Linux system that is LSB-3.0 compliant. Please see the README.txt file in this directory for install instructions. "libXt.tar.bz2" file is only useful to LSB developers so most users can skip this file. (old)
- emerge xastir -pv
- if there is a later stable build than what it returns:
- cp xastir-oldvers.ebuild xastir-newvers.ebuild
- ebuild xastir.ebuild digest
- emerge xastir -pv # To double-check
- emerge xastir # To compile, install
- Mandrake (needs link here) Uses RPM's.
- HowTo:OpenSUSE_11.0 Instructions for a binary install on OpenSuSE-11.0
- SuSE . Do NOT use any 1.2.0 or older versions that come on the SuSE CD's: They are difficult to upgrade due to directory changes in later versions.
- Or install from sources. See the README and INSTALL files in the Xastir distribution.
- Recommended method: Install VMWare Fusion (Free trial) from VMWare.com and the latest available Xastir image from here:
- OSX Binary. Includes support for Shapelib, ImageMagick, libProj, GeoTiff, PCRE, Dbfawk and map caching. (old)
- Intel Leopard/Snow Leopard Binary. NH6Z's drop-and-drag binary for MacOS X. Please follow the directions on the page. Version 2.0.1 with ImageMagick, libProj, GeoTiff, GDAL/OGR, ShapeLib, PCRE, Dbfawk map_caching rtree and libcurl.
- MacPorts. Xastir is listed under the "science" category. This is currently the 1.8.4 version (old).
- Install from sources. See the README and INSTALL files in the Xastir distribution.
See the Windows links here first:
- Inuit Nunaani Wireless Inc. CD available for nominal fee. Contact ttessier at trtdigital.ca (needs a link here)
- A few more docs concerning Xastir on Windows: